Dr. Curtis and the experienced team at Curtis Orthodontist are proud to bring beautiful smiles to our teenage patients in Coeur d’Alene, Post Falls, Hayden, Rathdrum, Athol, and surrounding areas.
Orthodontic Options for Your Teen
At Curtis Orthodontics, we treat patients for all ages but it is most common to have braces in their teens. At this age, kids have most or all of their adult teeth but their jawbone is still forming, making it easier for their teeth to shift so treatment time is typically shorter than for older patients.
Why Is Adolescence The Best Time For Treatment?
Each child’s situation is unique, and sometimes additional intervention is needed to begin correcting orthodontic issues and prevent oral health issues down the line. However, the most popular time to begin treatment is anywhere between ages 9-12. During this time, most children have lost all their baby teeth and have a full set of permanent teeth with subsequent orthodontic problems. Braces and other orthodontic appliances work in tandem with the teenage growth spurt and higher metabolism levels, so that treatment is completed in an efficient and effective manner.
The Benefits Of Treatment
Adolescence is the perfect time to begin receiving treatment for the following reasons:
- Improved Facial Appearance & Oral Health – As your teen progresses through orthodontic treatment, you’ll notice positive changes to their appearance and smile. Also, straighter teeth and a healthier smile are much easier to maintain, making trips to the dentist a breeze.
- Positive Social Experience – Most of your teen’s classmates and friends will also have braces, making it that much easier to get your child to come to every appointment. They’ll be excited to wear braces with their friends, and go through the experience with their peers!
- Saves Time & Money – The longer you wait to solve orthodontic issues, the worse they can become. Choosing to align treatment with your child’s natural growth and development will save you time, money, and minimize overall treatment time.
Popular Treatments At Curtis Orthodontics
- Traditional Metal Braces: Metal braces are used for their durable and practical treatment process. Today’s braces are smaller and more comfortable than ever before.
- Damon® Braces: Got to get too technical, but Damon braces are like traditional braces but have a special slide mechanism which means you don’t need the elastics (rubber bands) or metal ties to hold your wire on.
- Clear Alternative: If you are looking for a more subtle option to align your smile, clear Invisalign® aligners are less visible than traditional braces. Invisalign consists of a series of aligners. That doesn’t mean they are completely invisible, but they are significantly less visible than metal braces.
How It Works
1. Getting to Know You
We understand that choosing to receive orthodontic care is a big decision and your first visit to our office is the first step.
Since no two patients are the same, your first visit is aimed at getting an understanding of your oral health and teeth positioning. We will review your medical history and conduct a thorough exam, with X-Rays, to get a comprehensive look at your mouth.
2. Custom Treatment Plan
We create completely customized treatment for each patient to ensure you reach your full smile potential! If you are a good candidate for braces, our team can help you get started with our Same-Day braces program! Not only do we save our patients money, we save you time!
At Curtis Orthodontics, we want to help you get the smile you love with treatment as comfortable and convenient as possible.
3. Your New Smile
At Curtis Orthodontics, we make you our top priority! We create beautiful, confident smiles for all ages by offering advanced orthodontic care that’s designed to deliver the ideal treatment experience and results to ensure you achieve your best smile!
FAQs About Teens
Do braces hurt?
Braces or Invisalign don’t “hurt,” but for the first couple days you may feel some slight discomfort. When there is soreness, Motrin or Advil (ibuprofen) can help ease the discomfort.
Can I return to school the day I receive my braces?
Absolutely. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to return to your normal daily life.
Will my teeth straighten as I grown?
Unfortunately, no. Orthodontic issues, such as spacing and malocclusions, tend to worsen with age. It’s important to be examined as early as possible, to ensure these problems are corrected sooner rather than later.
Can I schedule all of my appointments after school?
We do our best to schedule you for the most convenient times based on your busy schedule, but cannot make any guarantees. However, most appointments are scheduled 4-10 weeks apart, so you or your child will miss minimal work/school time.
Can I still play sports with braces or aligners?
Of course! We do recommend that you use a mouthguard to protect your mouth during treatment.